Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bach fragrances




One of the pleasures of going out to the bach, is noticing what is happening in nature after a week's or fortnight's absence. This time, I'm aware of fragrance. On my walk I notice that the flax (harakeke) is in flower, both red and yellow varieties, licking the air and filled with sweet nectar. The Maori call it 'wai korari' and used to tap it out of the flowers and collect it in gourds.

Along the coastline, lupin is flowering profusely, scenting the air with the promise of summer.

And in the garden, I'm thinking of scent also, as I plant a row of carrots. The shop didn't have any orange ones, only the Dutch white Heirloom carrots. The seeds have been grown and collected by the Koanga Institute, and I was assured that they would grow well and produce carrots that tasted just the same as the orange ones. I'm
doubtful: how can the taste be right if it doesn't look orange.

But I decided to give them a try. 'Plant them with chilli seeds,' advised the woman at the Health Food shop. 'That will deter the carrot fly.' I thought that maybe the white colour would deter the carrot fly, deceiving it into thinking they were turnips! But that's just me being silly. I know very well that it's the smell that counts.

Not having any chilli out at the bach, I decided to use kawakawa leaves. The Maori used to burn them to deter caterpillars from the kumara crop, and they have a peppery smell. Last year I laid them along the ground each time I thinned the carrots, and there was never a sign of disease.

I rather like the look of the row, lined with my favourite heart-shaped leaves. If I were a carrot fly, I'd smell pepper and keep right away.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love the look of your garden Juliet.. with the kawakawa sentries keeping guard. I buy white carrots from the farmer's market ..yummy mixed with orange ones., especially baby ones.

Juliet said...

Thank you Joan; I'm encouraged. I like the sound of mixing the white and the orange.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

I have never thought of using the kawakawa to ward off insects, what a good idea. Last year I didn't have any trouble with carrot fly so I am hoping that I will be just as lucky this year.
I too have been enjoying all of the flowers that are out at the moment - harakeke, ti kouka and on Friday I came across rewarewa flowers.

Anonymous said...

May your garden grow and grow and grow, Juliet, with nary a carrot fly. It will be fun to hear how your like the white carrots one day soon.