Sunday, December 26, 2010

Kiwi Christmas Tree

At the bach, space is limited and we are surrounded in native trees. What would be a good Kiwi Christmas tree? I wondered. Down the drive I found some manuka saplings that needed to be removed. After cutting a couple, I bedded them into a small bucket of earth.
Then, out from the loft I pulled out the Christmas decorations that have been used for many years. My granddaughter Sophie (now 16), always used to visit to decorate the tree before Christmas. Mira is only 2 1/2. Could she manage it? First she watched me loop a few of the little angels over the branches of the manuka. Then it was 'me do it' — one of her favourite phrases. And she could do it - beautifully. She observed so exactly and handled each ornament with great finesse.
Manuka is a 'nurse plant'; that is, where the bush has been cut or burned, little manuka seedlings pop up everywhere and grow rapidly, protecting the slower growing forest trees. After 20 - 30 years they graciously die away, allowing the big trees to take over. I felt like a nurse plant myself, a granny protecting the younger generation, knowing that eventually I will topple and make way for them to take over. 











And so we had our Kiwi Christmas tree.

2 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

How beautiful, as you do so will Mira. The continuity of life - all wrapped up in the decorating of your NZ Christmas tree. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

How interesting your kiwi tree is, Juliet, and to share its making with Mira must have been such a joy. Thank you for sharing it here.