Saturday, April 2, 2011

Beach magic

It was a perfect day at the beach today, the last of daylight saving. The beach gave me one gift after another. First, these tiny fish, flicking rapidly through the shallow stream that feeds into the beach lagoon.
Then, feathers everywhere, having dropped from birds just as leaves are getting ready to drop from trees.
The freshness of the waves breaking on rocks down the south end of the beach.
Treasures on the sand, beautifully arranged by Nature's hand.
And finally, kelp for my garden. I untangled a good sized hank from this bundle, and dragged it home, feeling happy and lucky to have been able to get out to the coast for this special day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I can about s taste the salt air Juliet.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Juliet. You take me to the warmth of your beaches and such interesting finds of nature. Have you ever read The Gifts from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindberg?

Juliet said...

Thank you Joan and Penny, and yes I have read Gift of the Sea. It's been a favourite book for many years.

Sue said...

Thank you Juliet
for including photographs of Te Henga - these go straight to my heart!

Anne Ruffell said...

I just love your pictures of the beach and the bits and pieces which are just lying around but are so beautiful in themselves. I can see the fish flicking around and what a great idea to make your own art with the feathers and the cave in the background. I have made a note of the book above.