Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter treasure hunt

Every Easter for  my older granddaughter (now 18), I created a treasure hunt. And now it's the little one's turn. We actually began last year, and it was very simple: follow the yellow trail (See Trails and Treasure). But now, at four and a half, she's ready to learn about signs. So I have to show her what an arrow is, and how to understand it. 
 She's away! running so fast that I have to hurry to keep up. Yes, this one was easy,
 and this one too.
 But then the clues get a little more tricky? Would she spot this one, I wondered? No problem!
How about this? Easy.
And even this one . . .
 This was more subtle, but she quickly got it. I left quite a trail of these, the famous NZ fern, which shows silver on the underside. Maori used them to leave markers along the trails in the bush at night, when out bird-hunting.
 I used them for the darker parts of the route, through the bush,
 And to point the way to her special tree, where in a little nest of twigs and ferns, she found . . .
 treasure! A little pot of bubble mix, wrapped in a rangiora leaf and tied with flax. And inside the sparkly pouch, a fairy stamp and some beads to thread.

Later that day, she said, 'I want to go and play outside.' When I peeped to see if she was OK, I found she was playing with the twigs, investigating the mystery and wonder of signs. I was going to take a photo but in no time at all, it had been turned back into an arrow. Never mind, I recreated it from memory:
I am carried back to ancient times when our ancestors, before they had writing, would have communicated with one another by using signs.

Here you are: a house—for the imagination to roam in, perhaps.

5 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet - lovely to see .. have a happy Autumn .. looks like Spring here might be around a bit later next week?! Cheers at least there's a little sun today - but more northerly cold wind! Cheers Hilary

Juliet said...

* Hi Hilary, glad that the sun is smiling on you. It's been a tough winter for you.
Thanks for dropping by.

Hotly Spiced said...

That's a lovely treasure chest for the grandchild. What a thrill she would have had. I love the silver fern. I remember being very excited when heading out on a treasure map filled with clues xx

Penny O'Neill said...

Another idea for my own little grands as they grow. I love your use of nature for Mira's Easter/treasure hunt. We had so much fun making a paper flower grow, I know we will have fun adapting this hunt with nature, Juliet. I learn so much from you, my New Zealand friend and teacher. I thank you.

Juliet said...

* Charlie, how nice to have your own memories awakened. I don't think I ever had a treasure hunt, but I learned about signs in the Girl Guides.
Thank you.

* Penny, how wonderful that Kezzie could do the paper flower fun. I can imagine her having marvellous treasure hunts around the Cutoff in future years. Thank you for your lovely comment.