Sunday, April 27, 2014

Let's look for treasure

 Easter (or thereabouts) is when I create a treasure hunt. I used to do one for my son, then for my granddaughter who is now 20, and now for the little one. First she has to 'Look in the box where the music lives'. Aha, it's Granny's concertina box. Then 'find the palest yellow flower in a pot on the balcony. 'What does "palest" mean?'
The next clue sends her running up to the letter box to find a note saying, 'Look for a plant with round white flowers'. Then 'Search the bouganvillia.'
 It's such fun when you know exactly where to go for the next clue,
 but others are more tricky. What is the difference between a lime grove and a lemon grove?
 Ah, so that's it.
 And now to follow the trail of small leaves to the secret garden, a place where you have never been before.
 The trail is getting warm,
 And here's the first treasure,
 the second,
 the third,
 and the fourth.
 oh what fun!
We don't do sugary things, but there are plenty of other treats to be had. The little angel made of glass will watch over you, the chickens are pronounced 'delicate' but soft to the touch, and stickers are always well received.
Easter falls in autumn in the southern hemisphere, and it requires sharp timing to lay a trail between showers and before the wind blows away the clues, but today we managed. It was a little later than planned, but it's never too late to have fun. We finish with warm Easter buns laden with butter. Yum.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So delightful and reminds me of treasure hunts for my children long ago. Love all the pretty bangles and jewels and anklets on your special little one.

Juliet said...

Thank you Gallivanta; it's nice to hear that you've been a layer of treasure hunt trails also. The little one loves jewellery.

Anne Ruffell said...


What a lovely Easter treasure hunt and to see the little one again - it brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for that Easter treat - it reminds me of the wonderful egg rolling we used to have in Bournemouth where everyone (adults included) would decorate their eggs and we'd all go to a high hill on the golf course. A passer-by would be asked to judge which would was the best decorated egg. Then we'd roll them down the hill and the one which went the furthest distance without breaking was the winner!

Juliet said...

Anne, the egg rolling sounds like such fun! I'm glad you enjoyed joining in the treasure hunt. I don't see the little one quite so much now she's at school, but it's holidays now. We are having a sleepover here tomorrow night. What joy.

Hotly Spiced said...

How delightful and what fun for a little girl. That's one very long driveway! And I love your lime grove. I love how your granddaughter now has an angel to watch over her. I really do believe there are angels keeping watch over us - my Archie's is very worn out! xx

Penny O'Neill said...

What a delightful hunt, both for you, the little one (love that) - and me! How I enjoyed finding the clues and seeing the treats, Juliet. More memories to keep and family time.
I did not color Easter eggs this year. Sometimes our eggs take on pastel tones. More often, the deep red of the Greek Easter eggs. This year, running out of time, I just boiled brown eggs, which looked fine sitting on my table (though my sister kept trying to figure out what I'd done wrong in my coloring, ha).

Juliet said...

*Charlie, the driveway services 3 apartment blocks. Yes, an angel is good - your Archie certainly keeps his busy.

* Penny, I'm glad you enjoyed the treasure hunt. Those red eggs must be striking, but I always love the look of brown eggs too. Funny about your sister's confusion! Eggs don't quite fit the season here; I think of nesting and storing of nuts instead.

Thank you Charlie and Penny, for joining in the hunt.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet - what a truly lovely treasure hunt ... Looks so much fun .. You always put on a great show for your special days, be they be with the little one or your friends .. Lovely to read ... And I did like the sound of Anne's egg game!! Cheers Hilary

Juliet said...

Hilary, glad you enjoyed the treasure hunt. Anne's egg game certainly sounds like great fun. We are now preparing for our southern hemisphere halloween, carving our pumpkins.
Thank you.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, I love this idea, Juliet! I'll pass it on to my niece.

Juliet said...

Vicki, we do it every Easter and it's such fun. Thank you; I like to think of the idea being passed on.

Terry and Linda said...

I love happy treasure hunts!! Having the little makes it most perfect!!

♥ღLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Juliet said...

Linda, I love them too and it's a joy to have a little one to make them for. Thank you.