Friday, May 9, 2014

Looking for light

 Do you know that feeling, when you've had to withdraw from life for a while, to spend time in the shadows, and then you know it's time to emerge once more? The whole world looks brighter somehow. You see with fresh eyes. And you seek out what is light and bright, from the dramatic . . .
to the subtle, like the changeover period in the flame tree, when green leaves are replaced by yellow, disappearing foliage, and as if to compensate, the red flowers of winter come bursting out of hidden places . . .
The lemon trees coming into fruit at last, fill the air with a tangy scent . . .
Yes, dear friends, I've been recuperating from a little op that left me feeling weak and woozy. So when my friend offered to drive me to the gathering of our women's group, I was glad, for I felt my longing to be with the goddess once more. She stands, higher than life-size, holding up the crescent moon in our friend the sculptor's garden. We all took quiet time there before moving indoors.
The little one has lent me her Easter egg pouch. The Steiner School where she is a pupil, teaches the most wonderful crafts. And so for Easter, the children learned how to make their own eggs out of felt.
Little balls of light, tumbling out of the dark.
We may have crossed the threshold into winter now, but light still flares, in the jade plant, in the love of family and friends, in the magic of shared rituals, in the wonder of the changing garden, and the joy of recovery and healing.

14 comments:

Nadezda said...

I think I can understand your feeling of coming back to life, to light Juliet.It's wonderful, dear.
Lovely photos of fall trees. Although we are in spring here in North but it's very cold spring something like cool autumn.Till may there are no leaves in big trees only bushes are leaved.
Have a nice weekend!

Juliet said...

Nadezda, yes it's a good feeling to be coming back to life. I hope your spring warms up soon. Thank you.

Hotly Spiced said...

I'm sorry to hear you've had surgery. I do hope you're making a good recovery. How wonderful that at the Steiner school they let the children do so much craft - it's so important that creativity isn't stifled. Yes, winter has hit here as well and I'm not a fan! xx

Anonymous said...

What a sweet Easter egg pouch. Good to hear you are healing. May there be more at the pace you need it to be.

Juliet said...

* Hi Charlie, it was just a skin op, but on my face, and then there were complications. The creativity that's fostered at the Steiner School is fantastic.

* Gallivanta, those little eggs nestle really beautifully inside the pouch. The slower pace is very beneficial.

Thank you Charlie and Gallivanta,

Jan Clark said...

Blessings.

Vicki Lane said...

A beautiful sculpture and I love the little eggs and pouch! May your recovery be uneventful and allow you the leisure for new discoveries.

Juliet said...

* thank you Lollo; nice to see you here.

* Vicki, my friend Helen is a very talented sculptor. The little eggs are colourful and cosy; I love them too. And I'm recovering well now, thank you.

Friko said...

Coming out of shadow into light is a magical experience. Seeing the light with such wide open eyes as yours isn’t given to many.

Long may the brightness illuminate your days.

Juliet said...

Friko, what a lovely comment! Thank you so much, and I wish you much brightness too.

Penny O'Neill said...

I've made that journey from dark to light a few times, Juliet. It is such a warm feeling when one starts to truly feel better. I'm sorry that you needed some surgery and hope that you will continue toward the light and recovery.
Now, those eggs are so very delightful and time with friends and ritual rewarding. Rest, my friend from so far away, and heal.

Juliet said...

Penny, I'm feeling much better now, though still taking things slowly. It was 'just' a skin op, but on my nose & then there were some complications. Thank you for your understanding comment and your friendship across the world.

Amanda Trought said...

Julie, it has been a while, glad to hear that your are getting better, lots of tlc. I have never tried felting and these eggs look delightful!

Juliet said...

Amanda, nice to see you again! The felting must have been easy to do as these children are only 5 years old. I hope your art is continuing to flourish.