Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Time for pilgrimage

 You have walked this walk with me before, dear readers, and it's time for us to return. Here in Auckland, In the week before Easter, St Matthew In The City creates a labyrinth (based on a medieval design) out of river stones, and lights the way with many candles.
 What is your question? What will you hold in your heart as you slowly walk the labyrinth, attending to the three movements?

First, WALKING IN: letting go of distractions and releasing unwanted thoughts. As you walk in, let them all drop away and your mind become clear. Step by step, release and clear. Step by step. Take your time. There is no hurry at all.

 The Centre is not straight ahead. You will appear to be walking away from it, often. You will find yourself on the periphery, as far away as you can be. Your path will twist and turn.

'Enjoy the turns,' you are advised. 'The turns can help you to accept change in your life.'
Whatever feelings arise, you are advised to trust and keep walking, knowing you are being led to where you need to go.
In THE CENTRE, stay awhile. You have arrived.
Open to receiving.
Maybe your question will be answered in a surprising way, and maybe it will unravel a little more.
Be still.
Be present.
From the centre the labyrinth looks different, and you may see new beauty and order that was not apparent before.

And now it is time for the RETURNING. You leave by the way in which you came. You return to the world, bearing the gift of the labyrinth.
It is yours to share.
I found many insights, and saw my question from different angles. It became a sculpture of a question, each view showing me something new. Sometimes a question is best not answered too soon. Sometimes it has to grow bigger inside, to gain dimension and presence. That is what the labyrinth gave me, and that is what I offer back to you.

I wish you all peace at Easter, and space to make your own pilgrimage into the heart, wherever you may be.

17 comments:

growMama said...

What a beautiful piece of writing. And so evocative of what my experience of walking labyrinths has been. You totally captured it. x

Juliet said...

Anissa, thank you. What a lovely comment.

Anonymous said...

This labyrinth looks beautiful, Juliet. I would love to walk it.

Juliet said...

Gallivanta, it would soothe your soul. I know you would love it.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the stones and candles. And your words are perfect.

Juliet said...

Vicki, thank you. The candles on the stones were magical.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet - love this idea ... and I can imagine your thoughts would change and adapt -fascinating to have had the opportunity to join in .. cheers Hilary

Juliet said...

Hilary, yes there are a lot of thought changes with the twists and turns of the labyrinth. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Juliet, your posts on the labyrinth are so very special. Thank you for doing this each year. This year I especially appreciate your writing on the three movements and your photos are wonderful each year. Such a beautiful labyrinth, one I wish I could walk. Thank you for taking us along in spirit.
A blessed Easter to you.
Farm Gal in VA, USA

Penny O'Neill said...

I felt as if I were walking with you as I read this, Juliet. Such a memorable journey and experience you have there. A "pilgrimage of the heart" - how lovely that rings.

Juliet said...

* Farm Gal, how nice to see you here again. You will have to create a labyrinth on your farm, then you can walk it! Thank you for your appreciation. The labyrinth is special for me too, and every time I walk it, it's a different experience.

* Penny, so glad you could walk the labyrinth with me, and make your own pilgrimage of the heart.

Thank you Farm Gal and Penny.

Hotly Spiced said...

I remember this from last year. It's very beautiful with all the stones and candles. Happy Easter to you and all your family xx

Juliet said...

Charlie, thank you & happy Easter to you too. I hope to visit your blog again soon; am off broadband again, having Easter in the wilds & have had a very busy time. But I'll be back.

Marja said...

yes I have seen it before. It's like a mini pilgrimage. How special and serene to release all your unwanted thoughts when walking through the labyrint

Juliet said...

Marja, the effect of walking the labyrinth is just that: a stilling of the mind to make way for clarity. Thank you.

Nadezda said...

Your words are interesting, Juliet.
Hope your had nice Easter time.
Thank you for commenting on my blog.

Juliet said...

Thanks Nadezda. Easter was very gentle & warm here, but now it's very cold.