Monday, October 25, 2010

Bare feet

What pleasure to cast off my shoes and walk barefoot on the ironsand, newly wet and turned to satin by the incoming tide. At last spring has bounded in like a lion, in perfect time for Labour weekend, when we have a 3 day holiday. People poured out of their cars, baches, city dwellings, to enjoy the beach. They brought balls, large and small, dogs large and small, bathing togs, picnics, and good humour.
Beside the sea, some lay down to soak up the sun, while others braved the waves. The flags were up, the lifeguards posted in their tower, and the sea sparkled.
Meanwhile, being a local and thinking of the garden I'd been digging over that morning, I picked up a long strand of kelp and dragged it home.

3 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Oh I love this. 'I picked a long strand of kelp and dragged it home' - what a wonderful way to live.

Unknown said...

This sounds perfect Juliet. Sometimes I long to feel sand under my feet and the salty air to breathe, but it certainly was a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

Such lovely footprints in the sand and a time to be free and breath in the fresh air.