Thursday, October 21, 2010

Precious budding wings

Oh, the freedom of spring! The moon is waxing, the birds are flying and the skies are becoming bigger.

I celebrate freedom in my life, and rediscover a favourite poem of Hafiz, which guided me through a crucial budding time. This is how it begins:


We have not come here to take prisoners,
But to surrender ever more deeply
To freedom and joy.


We have not come into this exquisite world
To hold ourselves hostage from love.


Run my dear,
From anything
that may not strengthen
Your precious budding wings. 
(From Ladinsky, The Gift, p.28)

I ran, and now my wings are strong.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is wonderful..and makes me think again of the boy on the skateboard Juliet. I have to go.. and I will throw my arms in the air as i go! Lovely poem.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Thank you for this Juliet, I feel as though i have budding wings but I do want to fly!

Anonymous said...

Lovely.