Friday, December 20, 2013

The other side of the street

On Tuesday, for some reason, I decided to walk on the other side of the street on my way to the beach.
Maybe I was drawn by the gentle blue of the jacaranda trees,
or maybe it was because it was Tuesday, but the little one wasn't with me.
Our Tuesday afternoons have come to an end. Next year she will be at school full-time.
I felt a little pang, the kind you get from seeing an empty chair where a loved one has sat for many years. Or an empty swing.
But on the other side of the road, I discovered something. In the beautiful little garden on the verge that a creative neighbour has planted, I noticed something moving. Can you see them, right in the middle of the picture, just above the red flowers?
Now you can see one, I'm sure. Yes, the verge garden was flitting with monarchs,
because that thoughtful neighbour included swan plants amongst the brightly coloured flowers.
In times of loss, something new flies into the blue,
speaking of possibilities not yet discovered. And reminding me to be grateful, for all the unexpected gifts of life.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's always something to fill the gaps and how lovely it is flowers and butterflies for you this time. I have seen one monarch this week and I think I have a self-sown swan plant emerging in the garden; it may also be a weed. I will have to wait and see :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet - love the photos and yes, aren't those monarchs great. Then the brightness and the green .. and I love Jacaranda - the haze of blue is just brilliant ...

Sorry you've lost your afternoons with the little one ... still I expect there'll be new times together ..

Happy Christmas and New Year - cheers Hilary

Penny O'Neill said...

You might well imagine my excitement at seeing the monarchs on the other side of your street, Juliet. Of course, I did a little investigating, and now realize that your swan plant is the same species as our milkweed. Monarchs were few this summer here. We are all hoping that they will experience a return. Knowing they are thriving in New Zealand is comforting.

Amazing, isn't it, how walking on the other side of the street gives us so many new perspectives? Gratitude for unexpected gifts is a good reminder for all of us as we travel through life. Thank you, dear friend, for this most uplifting post.

Terry and Linda said...

Great photos of the plants even better of the butterflies!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
¸.•*¨*•♪♫♫♪Merry Christmas ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥
˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜”

Hotly Spiced said...

It's so sad you won't be having those Tuesday's with your granddaughter any more. What a shame! I do hope you can find another time to spend with her - maybe the weekend or an early dinner one night during the week? I love monarch butterflies - so pretty. NZ has so many of them xx

Juliet said...

Charlie, we'll be doing sleepovers probably, which will be nice, but not so regular.

Juliet said...

silkannthreades, Hilary, Penny, & Linda, I wrote you very full appreciative comments last night, but it looks like they've failed to post. I am on dialup out at the bach and It's rather unreliable, preventing me from visiting you at present. Will have to concede defeat for now.

Juliet said...

silkannthreades, Hilary, Penny, & Linda, I wrote you very full appreciative comments last night, but it looks like they've failed to post. I am on dialup out at the bach and It's rather unreliable, preventing me from visiting you at present. Will have to concede defeat for now.

Juliet said...

* silkannthreades I'm trying again. Love what you say about there always being something to fill the gaps. Hope the monarchs thrive where you are.

* Hilary, there will be new times, for sure. Glad you enjoyed the colours, and seasons greetings to you too.

* Penny, dear friend, I thought you would relate to this as I know how you love the monarchs. How exciting to discover that your milkweed is our swan plant. I had no idea.

* Linda, the butterflies were hard to catch on camera as they flitted so fast. I took many shots with empty skies before I hit the mark.

Thank you all for your comments.