Thursday, June 9, 2011

A splash of purple

A splash of colour is so welcome at this time of the year, as the days grow grey and cool. I was so happy to find this lassiandra flowering when I took my walk.
It was a flower that my mother loved. She had one growing outside the dining room, where she could see it catching the morning sun rays while she drank her cup of tea.
I had a lassiandra in the garden of the first house I ever owned.
Purple is said to be uplifting
calming to mind and nerves
offers a sense of spirituality
encourages creativity

I think it pisses God off if you walk by the colour purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. —Alice Walker

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great quote, Juliet, and how vibrant the lassiandra is. They don't grow well here, so, it is a treat to see this so late at night as I finish up some work and a stop at your blog.

Juliet said...

Thank you Penny. I just went to the bank, and stood behind a woman wearing a purple scarf and top. We had a lovely conversation about the colour purple, which she said she loves. In our wintry weather, she looked radiant in it. What a pity the lassiandra doesn't grow so well where you are.

anissa ljanta said...

he he - love that stroppy quote from Alice Walker! i am enjoying the gentle scent of early jonquils we got from our orchard yesterday...brings back so many childhood memories.

Juliet said...

Hi Anissa, thanks for visiting my blog. I love that jonquil scent too.

Unknown said...

For some reason I can never remember the name of these gorgeous purple flowers. We had them in our farm garden but the Waikato winter would knock them back each winter. Lassiandra. How will I store that in my brain. Love the quote.