Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The zen of winter

Winter pares away details, and renders things simple and clear, like a Japanese wood cut. This is the melia tree, that I watched shedding its leaves. Now only these little gold berries are left.
And here's the jade plant, a mass of flowers, but simple in its shape against the backdrop of the flax.
I'm finding beauty in bareness this winter, and letting my life become as simple as the season.

Be content with what you have, rejoice in the way things are.  When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.  ~Lao Tzu

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your web postings have been really brightening up my days, thank you. Best Wishes, Cameron.

Juliet said...

Thanks Cameron, and glad you've found how to make a comment.

Anonymous said...

A perfect quote for a winter's day, Juliet, and it works well here in our summer.
I love seeing flowers on your jade plant. Something we don't see here. Beautiful!

Juliet said...

Yes, it's a quote for all seasons Penny. Aren't the flowers lovely. Last year the bumble bees were all over them, but not a sign this year.

Lynley said...

Thanks for the striking photos Juliet. I've been in need of soothing and calming this week and the quote helped me refocus to a more settled place too.

"My" Melia is still very leafy, although the top of the tree is increasingly naked. The berries on my tree are still green and plump and not so clearly discernable due to the foliage.
There is a Melia down by our local dairy and I noticed that it is very bare of leaves but covered in green berries....it almost had a Xmas look to it smothered in green balls.
Melias seem to have their own individual rhythms huh?

Juliet said...

Thank you Lynley. Isn't it fascinating how the melia trees are at such different stages? I saw some others in a nearby street and they were just starting to turn yellow. I hadn't noticed the berries last year at all, but this year they are so obvious.

Unknown said...

This is a lovely post Juliet. Calm and lovely. Love the quote. When travelling to Whakatane I saw a sign as I came into one town the read SLOW DOWN. IT'S WINTER> about driving of course , but I thought it good advice for our living.