Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Brave buds

How were the buds doing, I wondered? After all, just as they were opening, Auckland had its first snowfall in 72 years, and its 'coldest ever daily high' (which is an odd word, considering it was a low!)
Of course, we are softies here, and the cold that we are feeling is nothing like what people further south are experiencing.
All the same, I wondered how those delicate buds (being Auckland buds) were managing the icy blasts.
Oh, brave buds! They continue to unfurl, and open. Nature's rhythm is stronger than any vagaries of the weather, it seems. The energy of spring is with us; it's just that it's masquerading as winter for a few days.

4 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Yes, it is so cold for the buds just beginning to open but wasn't it wonderful when it snowed. I loved your words about the snow in your last post entry - the snow did float in such a gentle soft silent way didn't they. I can still feel that sense of wonder I had as I watched it here.

Juliet said...

Thank you Marilyn - it sounds as if you had a similar experience. Wonder indeed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Juliet,

The 'darling buds' of August :- )

Sue

Anonymous said...

I've been watching a daffodil bud in our garden, and the snow doesn't seem to affect it at all.