Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tasty equinox

It's autumn equinox, the rain is falling - three month's worth in 24 hours up north, creating more floods. And yet the fruits are ripe and lush. I visit some blogs where people post delicious food that they've cooked, and my mouth waters. I'm too busy cooking up the text for my new book, and trying to get the flavour just right, which leaves no time for other culinary feats - but I offer you the tastes of the season.
 Feijoas, which have just ripened. I cut them open and scoop them out with a teaspoon - yummm! the insides look like four little trees of life, making new seeds in their little cavities.
 Plums of all kinds -  they bring back memories of the family's plum tree, and trying to pick them before the birds could beat us to it. This seasons' plums are lush and full of flavour.
 'Do I dare to eat a peach?' - oh yes, indeed. What sensuous pleasure there is, in seeing the yellow flesh as well as biting into it.
Just a scatter of blueberries remains, but I'm still tossing them into my breakfast muesli each morning and enjoying their round, indigo taste.
And finally, the tomatoes. Like the feijoas, they put out little trees inside, making seeds. Mmm - ratatouille time lingers on, with sweet basil scenting the kitchen as the tomatoes simmer away and the red juice intensifies its colour.
What a marvel, that nature could ripen all these fruits with so little sun. Yet the bountiful rain has no doubt helped them to grow juicy and fat.
Happy Equinox, wherever you are, in spring or in autumn. Around the world the light and dark are in balance. It's fruiting time here in the southern hemisphere, even though the green is just appearing in the north. Wherever you are, I send you an abundance of delectable tastes.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Only one and one-half hour's drive in a car from my city to yours Juliet, and yet such a difference in climate. Yout feijoas are ripe but no sign of any feijoas on the ground here yet. My mouth is watering! Happy Autumn equinox!

Juliet said...

That is such a difference Joan. My feijoas came from the Bethells Valley, which has a sheltered climate. These are the very first from my favourite organic growers - straight off the tree. I hope yours ripen soon.

Hotly Spiced said...

Feijoas! I so miss feijoas. We don't see them here in Australia very often but I grew up on them as my grandparents lived on a acre in Waikanae and grew all their own fruits and vegetables and of course they had a few feijoa trees. They are an incredible fruit with the most amazing fragrance xx

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet - I've never had a Feijos .. and you've made them sound so appealing. Love your photos - and we could do with the rain in the eastern side of the UK and the south (here) .. we'll be desperate soon.

Wonderful thought .. just love it - cheers Hilary

Juliet said...

Charlie, glad to bring back happy memories. It's so much part of growing up in NZ, to have a feijoa tree nearby. Your grandparents' block of land sound very productive.
Hilary, wish you could taste one. I hope rain comes your way soon; we certainly have enough to last for quite a while.

Lynley said...

Ohhh feijoas....$9.98 here in the shop today Juliet. I will have to wait for the price to come down a lot more and I have my fingers crossed that I might get some fruit off our trees this season. They are a way off that yet however as they are late fruiters.

Your photos show the glory of the seasonal food available to us right now. Yum!

Penny said...

Nothing quite like the fruits and vegetables as they come in season, is there. Your photos are delicious. I hope the rains subside and with it the flooding there, Juliet. We are very dry here.

Juliet said...

Lynley, these were $3 a bag from the organic growers. Hope yours come down in price soon.
Penny, you are welcome to our rain clouds, if they can drift across the world to you! Today is fine. The sun has become an infrequent visitor, but much appreciated when it does arrive. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

RuthG said...

That lovely feijoa photo makes me envious. Ours are a long way from ripe yet.

A very happy balanced equinox to you.

Juliet said...

Ruth, hope yours ripen soon. The first fruits are always such a treat. Thank you, and happy equinox to you too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Juliet for your fruit photos. they are simple but wow. i love the tree metaphor - it tantalishes the artist within