Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Flowering friendships

 I'm so lucky to have a birthday that falls on the threshold of spring,
 when all of nature is bursting into a song of welcome. This year, I was so busy with the birthing of the littlest one, nearly four weeks early, that at first I thought I had no time to celebrate.
 But I'm glad I did, with a simple dinner for some old friends, most of whom live in my neighbourhood.
 They brought food, flowers and the gift of their good company. As we ate, someone suggested that they all share in turns the story of how they first met me.
 Much hilarity broke forth, because I have lived an adventurous life and so have my friends. They all had colourful tales to tell, as bright as the flowers they brought.
 Some of them have known me for thirty years or more. Our friendships have flowered and have kept on flowering with every spring.
After they left, and the house was silent once more, I was left with my reflections. For nearly two weeks spring perfume has filled my living room, and the sound of my friends' laughter has reverberated from every corner.

'We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet.
'Even longer,' Pooh answered.
—A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

13 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet - gosh I'd forgotten the new littley arriving .. she must be bubbling along the path of life happily now - and your delight must be loving her sister (mostly!) ...

Gorgeous flowers and sounds like the best of evenings and remembrances ... Happy Spring Birthday ... and love the photo of you looking bemused at your cake - not enough candles methinks!

Cheers and enjoy Spring .. we are having the most amazing Indian Summer here .. glorious!! Hilary

Juliet said...

Hilary, the littley is 4 weeks old now. Yes, the cake candles were rather spare, but I didn't mind! So glad you are having lovely weather; you need it after the awful winter you had. Thanks for calling.

Anonymous said...

Very many birthday wishes to you. What a lovely celebration. It was your white-stone fortunate day. :) Pooh is so wise.

Hotly Spiced said...

That's a gorgeous quote from a really precious book. Happy birthday! I'm so glad you celebrated and the flowers are gorgeous - so much colour and life. I do like the sound of everyone telling a story of how they met you - what a fun night that must have been xx

Juliet said...

* Gallivanta, thank you. White stone day indeed. This was actually a couple of weeks ago. I've been busy looking after the family since the arrival of the littlest one, and am only now catching up.

* Charlie, it was great fun hearing the stories. Then it turned out that there were surprising connections between the different people . . .

Penny O'Neill said...

Such a warm and welcoming way to share your birthday, Juliet; friends, flowers, your blogging community - and Pooh. I love that quote, and I hope we will remain as friends in nature and blogging and whatever life may bring, Juliet, longer than even forever.

Happy Birthday!

Juliet said...

Penny, it's a great quote. Good old Pooh, he always has the right words. Thank you for your lovely words and good wishes, dear blogging friend.

Terry and Linda said...

Happy Birthday...if you were here you would be a fall baby, but there you are so you are not fall but Spring!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Juliet said...

Thank you Linda. Yes, I'm a spring baby in this part of the world.

Marja said...

Oh Juliet that sounds so special and wonderful. What a treasure to have such good friends for such a long time and I would have loved to be a a little bird sitting in a corner to listen to all the stories. The flowers are very beautiful

Juliet said...

Marja, long-term friends are certainly precious. The flowers gave me pleasure for a long time. Thank you.

Vicki Lane said...

What a beauty-full and joy-full post! I love the flowers and the candlelit portrait is gorgeous!

Juliet said...

Vicki, the flowers gave me a lot of joy too. Thank you.