Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tulips

I was greeted by a blast of colour at my friends' place: cheerful, laughing tulips. In past years I too have grown tulips and have been rewarded by their exuberant spring presence. But this year, after being busy moving house, I didn't get any bulbs or prepare my pots.
I'm reminded how the rewards of spring reflect the hard work of autumn and winter: Planning, buying, cooling the bulbs in the fridge to simulate winter, bedding them in with plenty of good plant food, and then voila, up they shoot, ready to shout 'spring is here!'
There's no such thing as a free lunch (sigh!). On second thoughts, maybe there's such a thing as a borrowed lunch, and that's what I had today in front of my friends' tulips.

3 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Beautiful post, beautiful photos. You are right Juliet about results come form preparation and effort.

Unknown said...

Happy first day of spring Juliet..may the season bring you life in abundance.

Anonymous said...

Such happy flowers tulips are, and daffodils (one of the few bulbs our wandering herd of deer won't eat). We have such cold winters here that we don't need to cool them first, but, the ground does need to be prepared if one is to have any kind of decent blooms. Oh, your spring sounds lovely and off to such a good start.