Monday, March 21, 2011

Autumn equinox

Today is autumn equinox, and it's gently raining. I discovered the local grower's market yesterday and stocked up on produce: feijoas, which are beginning to appear, tomatoes which are finishing, farm eggs, many lush greens, and best of all, fat blackberries which bring back happy gathering memories from childhood. In Taranaki we picked them by the bucketload from the sides of the roads, in the days before spraying became common. At the end of the day we'd return home satiated from sampling, and with our fingers stained red and black.

A French woman was serving ratatouille from her stall, and after tasting this delicious dish filled with provencal herbs, I bought the last two pots. 'I won't be making it next week,' she said, explaining that the aubergines and courgettes are getting too expensive now.
Before the clouds drew over the sky I photographed the full 'supermoon', which is the closest it has come to the earth since 1993. Nature is showing her abundant, benevolent face once more.

4 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

I love your photo showing all the edible treasures we have right now. I too have memories of going blackberrying in Taranaki. It was when we were living in Opunake and our children were very young. I remember the fat juicy berries, the chidren with tell-tale stained faces, and the scratches which spoke of reaching for the best which were always almost out of reach.
This is a very beautiful moon photo Juliet.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you caught the moon in your camera..I tried, unsuccessfully. Happy autumn equinox Juliet, and look at those feijoas! Victoria-Sofia and I having been watching ours get fatter and fatter but not one on the ground yet.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for capturing the moon, Juliet. We have been under a cloud cover and missing the best of it, so, especially enjoy seeing it from "down under".

My mouth is watering for all your fresh produce - especially those berries. I am enjoying your season of plenty from up here, Juliet.

Juliet said...

Thank you for your blackberry memories, Marilyn, and to you Joan and Penny for your comments. Lovely to share the moon and fruits with you all, especially Penny who is waiting so patiently for spring to arrive.