Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth hour

I'm preparing my candles for Earth Hour tonight, from 8.30 to 9.30 pm.

Earth hour began in Sydney in 2007, when 2.2 million people and over 2000 businesses turned off their lights for one hour to take a stand against climate change and unsustainable energy use.
Last year, on Saturday 27 March, over 128 countries and territories joined in.
We are learning more and more ways of linking up as one earth. This simple action, flowing in a wave around the planet as each country reaches 8.30 pm, gives me hope. I also like to think of the stars shining more brightly tonight as artificial lights are turned off and the night sky is reclaimed.
My action to go 'beyond the hour' is to find an apartment-friendly way of turning my food waste to compost.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done Juliet.. how about a worm farm. I saw one kept successfully in a classroom. I bought one for the young ones and after four years it is still going strong!

AM said...

...and you are playing quite an important role to make this world a better place :)

thank you for sharing.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Joan is right, a worm farm is an excellent way to turn food waste into compost. We had one for years but when we downsized garden and section we sold it. I think we should now have another as it would still be great here.

Juliet said...

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a worm farm at the bach, but alas my apartment is too small for one, so I'm needing another solution. It's a pity as I do rather like the worm farm.